QUESTION – If kids are terrified to go to school or traumatized by violence and victimization, how can they focus on academic learning?
Consider the alarming statistics gathered by the Gracie Academy:
- According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
- Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
- A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
- 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above
Success Through Security
Although much of our work centers around Literacy, Arts, and STEM education, the Kino-Eye Center is dedicated to helping students develop the skills necessary to lead a safe, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Security is essential for success!
Here’s a Fox News story about our recent self-defense workshop for girls and women at Rice University: